Sunday, August 06, 2006

FROM CASTRO TO KITTY CATS

Some people already are speculating that the Cuban dictator, Fidel Castro, is not ill but dead. Wouldn't that make our government happy? From what I can tell, that old man is a big hypocrite. He lead a revolution to overthrow the current dictator and make all people equal with his soviet-like communism and then set himself up in mansions, living like a king, while his people live in poverty. How is that equality? We need less of those guys in this world. Hopefully the next Cuban leader will be a little more sincere and moderate.

Last Monday Becca and I had the delightful opportunity to visit what I now affectionately refer to as the Boothe Family Homestead. I scanned about 77 old family pictures like the ones you see displayed here on the blog, had avocado sandwiches and played card games. For the past year I’ve been wanting to find out more about where my family comes from and this summer I’ve made a special point to ask my grandparents questions. I found out that I have ancestors who were forced out of Nauvoo and had cannons shot at them while they were leaving and that I have Italian and Native American roots. It was a fun visit.


Three generations of Boothe men: my dad, me and Granpa Boothe


Left to right: Aunt Laurey, my mom, Aunt Carrie and Uncle Eric

The schools are awakening, slowly. I’ve been looking for schools to contact and now my list has grown from just under 2,000 to over 2,800. My goal was to get to 3,000 before I went back to Utah and I think I’ll do it this week. I’m going to enjoy converting one of the rooms in our new basement apartment to be my home office. Translating in my bedroom is only slightly better than translating in my living room.

Grant was gone at his high adventure camp, so I swiped the Angels and Demons book that he was reading. I had tried to read it when he was playing video games before but he squawked, protesting that Dad had bought it for him and him alone. I argued with him a bit, trying to explain that Dad had bought it as a family book for anyone to read but Grant just got angrier. As the discussion became more intense, I considered calling Dad right there on the spot but then my more reasonable self pointed out that I was 25 years-old and that calling my father to settle a dispute between my younger brother and me might be just a little juvenile. So I did the mature thing: dropped the issue, read it while he was out camping and then when he got back rubbed it in his face that I had finished the book before he had.

We had so much fun watching Madea’s Family Reunion last week that we watched Diary of a Mad Black Woman this weekend. The later movie was made first and it was the first time the director/actor of three different roles/screen writer had made a movie. The two films are adaptations of his successful plays which turned him from rags to riches. In any case, Diary of a Mad Black Woman is cheesy and funny and although it has a very Christian message of family and forgiveness it is over the top and reduces some of its characters to being mere caricatures. As far as I’m concerned, you can skip it. Madea’s Family Reunion is cheesy, has a good Christian message but the film’s creator (that’s a better way to put it) learned from his first mistakes and made a much better movie. I really recommend it.

Here is my sweet Becca!

Madea’s Family Reunion was indeed a really funny film! Work has been slowing down. The heat wave wasn’t a good time for people to come and get a massage, and now that school is nearing, people are coming less. That is ok by me though…I wore myself out during the fast time, and get a break during the slow time.

Grandma and Grandpa Boothe brought over a cat on Saturday. She is really sweet and affectionate. We got her a collar with a tag that has our address and phone number (we didn’t put a name on it, because we cannot decide on one). We want her to go potty outside which is why we bought the collar… soooo if she gets lost while she is outside exploring someone will call us. When we let her out she would just hang around the yard, but this morning we didn’t let her in when she meowed (it was 7 am, and she was only out for an hour), and now we haven’t seen her for over 3 hours. We hope that she is just exploring the neighborhood, and not trying to find grandma and grandpa’s house. We put food out for her. She really likes us. She slept with Ryan and me and just purred away. She comes to you when you put your hand down. I’m sure she will come back; I just hope it is before church so she won’t come back while we are gone for 3 hours. Anyway, we miss her.

We can’t decide on a name for her and politely ask you to suggest names for us to consider. Just click on the word comments below and leave your suggestion. We look forward to reading input on names.

Well, I’m going to go take a walk around the block to see if she isn’t just lounging in a patch of sunshine somewhere.

Love Ryan and Becca

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice post Ryan, neat pictures, I didn't know we were Italian! Do you have to mention the argument over Angels & Demons?!

Anonymous said...

Great picture of the former Dericka! I think she has found her niche! I hope she's safely at home with you again. Gram Leota

Anonymous said...

You were right: I bought Angels and Demons for anyone to read. You did the smart thing, though. Was i ever that skinny?