Monday, August 14, 2006

ROLLER COASTERS, TIGERS AND AN ORCA


Thursday Dad and Penny took all of us out to Six Flags Marine World. It was a lot of fun. Penny, Becca, Breanna and I started off as the daredevils, leaving the other three behind to go on the slower rides, however, there was one particular ride the banged my head around so much and made me so dizzy that I needed to take a big break.


Although the whole day was fun there were three particular high lights for me: riding on the Sky Coaster (I’ll let Becca explain that one), riding on an elephant and watching Dad get drenched.

There was a bit of irony in Dad getting drenched that made it so delicious. Seeing Dad get wet in general is not very funny due to the fact that he has a pool but under the right circumstances it can be quite entertaining. We had to split up into two groups for a water rafting ride so Dad, Grant and I went in one raft while the girls went in another. Dad gave me that wryly look that many of you are familiar with and said something to the effect of, “You know the water comes in that side of the boat. You’re going to get soaked.” Not five seconds after he said that, the raft changed positions and Dad was in my spot. This resulted in him getting a little wet, which was only he-hah funny but looking down our course a ways, I could see that I was in line to go right under a waterfall. As if turned by mischievous water park imps, our raft turned again and Dad went right under it! I’m chuckling even now as I write this post.

We found that there are big squirt guns on the side of the water rides that people can use for twenty-five cents. Dad was able to turn the tables and drenched quite a few strangers and even Penny, Becca, Breanna and Tristine. Revenge is sweet!

I don’t know why the elephant ride was so much fun for me but it was. I suppose it was just the novelty of being able to say that I rode on top of an 8,800 lbs. animal. Becca was a good sport and rode with me even though she’d all ready done it once before years ago.

My sweet Becca can tell you about how she, Grant and I fell from 80 feet in the air:



Well, I had been on a 180 foot Sky Coaster before while at a theme park in Canada, and loved it!! I really wanted Ryan to experience it. Grant was excited to try it out and asked to go up before Breanna, so she was really disappointed not to go up. It is that ride you see that looks like a giant swing where people strap themselves into harnesses and get pulled up into the air by a cord, and then fly like superman.

The last time I wasn’t the one who pulled the rip cord (what sets you loose upon pulling)…so this time I was going to!! Once you are up as high as you can go, you hear a voice on the speaker say 1-2-3 FLY!!! That is the cue to pull the rip cord and free fall for at least 2 seconds until you get caught by what you are harnessed in. It was sooooooooooooooo much fun!!!!!! Ryan, Grant and I were all smiles afterward. Next time I will have to go with Breanna!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Neat pictures but you should have mentioned me way more!