Wednesday, July 04, 2012

July 4th 2012



We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.


Many died in the War for Independence so that all Americans could enjoy these rights today. I am proud of my country's values of religious freedom, equality under the law, democracy and self-determinism. As their heirs, either by blood or adoption, we have not always been true to these ideas. I hope that this day we can keep in remembrance the values and the people that have made the United States of America one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.


I do not believe it is a coincidence that thirteen almost insignificant British colonies fought and won their independence from a major world power. After studying about the horribly oppressive and corrupt governments that have followed the independence of most other European colonies, I am more convinced than ever that our founding fathers were lead by God, imperfect though they were, to prepare this country to be a model of democracy and freedom. As modern Americans, I hope that we can live up to this legacy and be a force for good in the world.

No comments: