We took care of a friend's dog this week. He's a good natured, well behaved pointer named Toby. Since the dog spends most of his time by himself, I thought it would be nice to take him out on a hike with our dogs. I had seen our friends out with Toby on their bikes so I figured that he would do just fine. If my little half-chihuahua muts could handle 2-3 miles in the mountains then Toby certainly could, right?
We hiked up to the higher trail that few take and I let Lucy and Toby off leash. He took off into the brush like a rocket. Less than a minute later a rabbit came bounding out. Strangely, the dogs didn't chase it. Toby went up and down and all over the place. I was worried that I might lose him so I leashed him after about a half an hour. Towards the end of our hike I could tell he wasn't used to such long walks but I didn't think much of it. The next day, Toby was walking around as if he were a 15 year-old dog. Becca inspected him and found that some of the pads of his feet were also worn off. Yikes! I guess my little lap dogs are more hearty than I thought.
My German meet up group had another get together. I had a hard time keeping up with them last time and I wondered if I should go again. I fared better this time and am really glad that I went. There's another get together in August and I'm looking forward to it.
Becca was her typical sweet self and made German Honey Cookies (Honiglebkuchen) for me to take to the potluck. They were quite good, especially for her first time ever making them.
For those of you who haven't seen my Facebook page lately, I've been trying to help a friend win a multilingual contest. Deutsche-Welle (Germany's BBC) is holding a competition about being multilingual and my friend Richard submitted a video where he speaks 16 languages. He and his main competitor are neck and neck and I would really appreciate if those of you who have Facebook accounts would vote for him.
Monday, July 23, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment