Sunday, May 06, 2012

Above and Beyond the Y

I went out hiking four times this week, three times up Y Mountain. On Friday I invited Becca to go up with me. It was her first time hiking to the top of the big Y. She needed quite a bit of coaxing  but she did it and I am proud of her.


The day before I felt like trying something a little closer to home and hiked along the Bonnevill Shoreline Trail. I had seen it on a map and was curious. It pretty much goes along the mountainside of the whole Wasatch Front. I noticed that there was access to the trail a short distance away from my house so I drove up right after work and did a short hike.



I was really disappointed seeing this sign as I walked up to the trail. I'm glad I got a closer look though. Bellow the "Road Closed" part you can see the words "To Motorized Vehicles." That didn't stop a dirtbiker I saw about fifty feet into the trail. It was a nice hike but I don't know if I'll go back. I could see into the back yards of a lot of houses from where I was walking. I know it's a public trail but I still felt like I was trespassing. I'm glad I explored the trail a bit because I was curious.


Another thing I've been curious about is hiking to the peak of the mountain above the Y on Y Mountain. I got up yesterday, read my scriptures, ate a huge breakfast and wasted a couple of hours online. One of those mornings. I got bored with being lazy and decided that I wanted to go back up the Y. I had decided to follow the small, not so traveled trail that goes above the Y on Wednesday but turned back after about five minutes. Yesterday I decided to go fifteen minutes in. Before I knew it I had traveled around the side of the mountain. Encouraged by making good time, I decided to see if I couldn't make it to the peak like I had been planning on.



I considered not doing it. It was cold (Did you see the picture of the snow?) and I was in a T-shirt and shorts. I was also alone; they teach you not to hike or swim alone in boy scouts. Still, I had time, energy and the inclination. It was Saturday and I came across a fellow hiker about once every 20 minutes. If I got injured, someone would be there to help. I also got cell reception. I looked in my backpack and found gloves that my sister-law had bought for me the last time I went to Michigan for Christmas. It would have to be enough. Away I went!




I'm a little sunburned and tired today but I'm really glad I went to the peak. It was something I had been thinking about doing for weeks and something for which I thought I'd have to prepare more. It's always a good feeling to exceed our expectations.

On my way down I came across Becca and little Lucy. Becca was determined to hike the Y on her own! I am very proud of her. She had had a hard time with that hike only the day before and she got right back up and did it again! I'm double proud of her for her gumption.

The business kept me extremely busy this week. Part of me hiking so much came from being in my little office in front of a screen all day. That's okay, I like being busy.

Death has affected the families of several people I care about. One is my friend Fran. She went through the Spanish Translation Program with me at BYU and she was one of Garit's Spanish teachers at the MTC. Her mother passed away a couple of days ago. My friends the Ludlows lost their mom Carrie on Friday to breast cancer. My thoughts and prayers are with both families.

No comments: