Sunday, April 29, 2012

Marketing and Mountains

 

This is a view of the mountains from a little recreation area the Church has right across the street from our chapel. I really like having a five minute walk to church. As you can tell, Becca and I enjoy the scenery a whole lot this time around. I wanted to make it up Mount Y twice this last week but I got a cold and only made it up once. It was a good hike. I found a trail on GoogleMaps that extends from the trail I normally take that leads you up and around to the peak. That seems like a good Saturday hike to me.


I went to a BYU Management Society, Hispanic Chapter, meeting a week or so ago. People were shocked that I spoke Spanish. Mexicans are funny. They look at me perplexed when I speak Spanish and usually ask, Where are you from? I speak with a South American accent (as opposed to a Central American accent) and and it really throws them off. As usual, the speaker they got for us was great. My old means of drumming up new business have not been working as well as they used to and this presentation was on marketing small businesses. Perfect!

At the end of the presentation the marketing guru let us ask her three questions specific to our own businesses. Who do you think was the first person to raise his hand? Since my target audience is spread out so widely and doesn't get on Face Book, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. much, I needed some special advice. Why not hold a conference call/webinar? A topic that schools are interested in and that I like to talk about is breaking down cultural barriers. Anyone have any other ideas about what I could talk to school administrators about that they would be interested in hearing?


Sorry about the bad lighting. Becca made some neighbors one of her famous flourless-chocolate cakes. Both spouses were missionaries in France and I thought they'd like the treat. She really got into it and ended up making a blue-berry cream topping. Are your mouths watering yet?


I am under 190lbs.! I've been at least 25lbs. over weight for about seven years now and I am on track to be at a healthy weight by my birthday at the end of next month. Eating in moderation and moderate exercise have been my thing since right after Thanksgiving of last year. I am on track to reach my goal weight by the early fall.

Our church choir is performing today. Our choir director is a professional song writer and we're performing a song that is already on CD but he's rearranged it for choir instead of a soloist. How cool is that?! I think it would be awesome if he wrote something for my voice but since that's how he makes a living I don't really feel comfortable asking him to do that. Maybe I could be his demo guy. Before he pitches a new song to a professional artist he could have me perform it first. Who knows?

One of the fun things about scanning all of these pictures is finding ones that wouldn't be hung on any wall. The above is a candid shot from a Christmas photo probably from 2002.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the picture! Also wanted to tell you the Lorena and I watched all of the Endgame episodes on Hulu and loved it. I always say "Mr. Balagan" in a Spanish accent to Lorena. Can't wait to join you guys in Utah later. -Garit

Lorna said...

Love the update; the marketing group sounds like a great opportunity. The picture you shared it SO Garit! Hugs, Lorna

Darren&Stephanie Slade said...

Ryan and Becca,
That chocolate cake looks so yummy!
Could you pretty please email the recipe to Darren's email for me? I am dying to try it!
Thanks!

Darren and Steph Slade