Sunday, December 02, 2007

THANKSGIVING 2007

This last trip out to California seems like a month ago rather than just a week. Becca and I actually argued over who got to drive on the way there. We're still very much enjoying our new SUV. We did not, however, enjoy getting a flat tire outside of Wendover, Nevada especially since the tires are all new. After putting the spare on and driving at a roaring 45 mph to the nearest Les Schwab I realized that I had gotten a flat and bought a tire at the exact same place four years ago.

The rest of the trip went pretty smoothly and it was very nice to go and spend time at my mom's house in Modesto. Grant was very generous to let us have his room during our stay there. The next day Grant went to school, I accompanied Garit up to Sacramento for a job interview and the ladies stayed and ran around shopping for food and then preparing it. Here is a picture of Becca's famous berry pie which did not survive Thanksgiving day in spite of the presence of at least five other pies.
Thanksgiving Day at Grandma Barbara's house is always nice but it was even better this year because my cousin Jarit could come and join us. It's been years since I had seen him and it looks like he's in great shape. It had also been too long since we'd seen the Lee's. It almost reminded me of the days when I was a kid and the whole family would get together. This Thanksgiving was nice but we were still missing a few of you.
This video was accidentally taken by one of my aunts who was having some problems with our camera.
She eventually figured it out.

After dinner we played two very good games of Apples to Apples both of which my aunt Gina won. Before we started playing she had been accused as a cheater but I watched her pretty closely and it looked like she won both games fair and square.

The next day we went out to Atwater where the Boothes had patiently saved their Thanksgiving feast for us. Dinner came a little later than expected but we were in good company and had delicious appetizers that quelled our stomachs. Becca and Breanna also had fun outside picking raspberries like I used to do every time that I came over to Grandma and Grandpa Boothe's house as a kid.
Becca was so impressed with my aunt Merrilynn's vegi-bake that she came home and made one for us back in Utah. Apples to Apples seems to be a family favorite and we played it in Atwater too but not before playing Crazy 9's which is my grandpa's favorite game. Grandpa has an uncanny way of beating everybody at that game but this time I managed to come in first place. I wonder if he just let someone else win so nobody can say that he wins all the time. We went back to Modesto that night wishing that we could come back to Atwater sooner. This Christmas we'll hopefully be able to see the Patterson's as well as everyone else. What are you Texas Boothes' plans?
The rest of the trip went by pretty fast. Garit, Grant and I put up Mom's Christmas lights and then she, Becca and I went to Oakland at the invitation of one of Mom's friends. It was fun to see Bro. Chandler again. On Sunday we went to church with Mom and Grant but then Becca began feeling very sick and I took her back to my mom's house. When I came back the Spanish Branch was getting together for Sacrament Meeting and I couldn't resist attending. It was wonderful to see my friends who all seem to be doing quite well.


We miss all of you out east and are looking forward to seeing you for Richard's baptism and Christmas next year. That seems like a long time to wait so maybe Walter and RossAnn will be able to make another trip out here before then. Thanks again to all of our wonderful family and friends who made this last trip to California so enjoyable. SEE YOU IN THREE WEEKS!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loved the duet of Ryan and Garit!