We’ve now been here a month and I am absolutely loving Brazil. I started making flash cards a few days before I got here and since then I’ve memorized around 250. I still have a lot to learn but now I think that I’m in better shape to talk about a wider variety of things. I still find myself struggling so I guess I still need to work at things. Becca just got a B on her first big test and is very happy about that.
Since our trip to Rio de Janeiro we’ve been to Campinas, a little town of 1 million that’s North West of São Paulo, and a lot of little fairs in São Paulo itself. There’s a little neighborhood called Embu that has the most amazing shops. Becca and I bought some really cool stuff like leather purses and cool little statues. I think she and I will end up going back. We went to the Meseu da Língua Portuguesa which has lots of information about the history, influences and authors of the Portuguese language. I really liked it and could go back. The São Paulo Zoo is a decent size and almost all of the animals were right up front in very visible spots.
Tuesday morning we’re heading off for an eight day trip to see the largest waterfalls in the world and then tour Southern Brazil. I’m stoked! About 100 years ago the Brazilian government tried to make their country whiter and heavily encouraged European immigration. Most of them settled in Southern Brazil so we’ve been told that we’re going to see a lot of really white people and little German looking towns. They’re big ranchers down there so I’m hoping to buy some cool leather art work and eat some great steak.
There’s a line behind me to use the computer so I’m going to end things here saying that I am overwhelmed by the faith and diligence that I have seen from the Brazilians here in São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro and Campinas. They love the Lord Jesus and work hard to establish His kingdom on the Earth by loving and serving their neighbor. That’s true Christian conviction.
Oh yeah! Congradulations to my cousin Derrick who just got married last week and to my cousin Laurel who will soon be getting married as well.
Sunday, July 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Great post Ryan! It's truly great to hear from you again.
It's so good to hear from you again! We're having some adventures of our own here in Texas. I can't remember if I sent you a copy or not. I wasn't sure if you could get anywhere to read it. Much love, Gram B.
Well Hello you two. I am glad you are having tones of fun. Becca drop me an email when you can. I went dress shopping the other day and I am between three gowns. Wish you could come home and visit. Yeah thats right Rochester will always be your home. :) Be safe. Love ya. TTYL
Cassondra
Post a Comment