
Well, I am working at 5 Buck Pizza again to earn some spending money for
The weather has been in the 80’s here! I have loved it. My freckles are of course becoming less shy (they like the sunshine I think more than I do!). I haven’t killed my 4 potted herbs which is a miracle! The smell of Lilacs in full bloom brings back some wonderful youthful memories, and makes me long to walk for miles through the colorful fields of them at the Lilac Festival back in 
I have started jogging again. I do a figure 8 from our house (800N), past the hospital to Bulldog, State Street, 800N, Freedom, 500N, and then back to State and then to home (for all you familiar with Utah). That used to be a challenge to go the whole way and not stop. It isn’t that far, but I can finally jog the whole thing!!!! I think I am getting faster, because I have been finishing before I get to a song or two that is on my i pod, that I used to jog right through. I took a little break due to some colder weather, but since it is beautiful again I am happy to start up again. After 3 years of living in
I of course am the “office manager” of the business. Ryan has been patient with my learning how to deal with everything. Things have been crazy with the business! We have had requests for Ukrainian, Farsi, Punjabi, Korean, Romanian, Vietnamese and Tagalog!!!! The hardest one to find was Punjabi. We “contracted” another agency of translators in
They help the business, but my goodness the price of them adds up!! That is only a problem when the schools are flaky and do not pay us on time. I also have to train (starting the 7th of May) the new office manager, Becky, who will be holding down the fort while we are in
Ryan finally mastered a curry dish that we have been working on. We found that the secret ingredient to getting the coconut flavor to come out is ---Drum roll please---….coconut extract. The coconut milk just wasn’t enough; you could never really sense the presence of coconut. Anyway, the extract along with not cooking the mixture so long and adding some other ingredients that we have observed to work made for a Lamb Coconut Korma Curry that is comparable to that of the Bombay House (which we frequently crave). Less money, just as much satisfaction! YAY!!
Well, that is enough for me I guess. I didn’t even think I had anything to write! Here is my sweet Ryan:
I am truly pleased with myself for figuring out that curry recipe. I’ve been making decent curry dishes for the past couple of months but this last one turned out great. Although it has been a little crazy dealing with translation requests for languages other than Spanish, it sure has been nice to only have to find the translators and not do all of the translating myself. I’m going to check up a little more on the quality of this new Indian agency; I really hope that they produce good quality material because they’re quick and inexpensive enough for me to keep my rates down.
Grades are in for three of my classes and so far things are looking really good. I’m anxious to see what I got in my other classes. Taking so many literature classes this semester was really fun for me. I ended up really getting into the poetry I studied this semester. In fact, I’ve decided to include two poems, translated into English by professor Fredrick G. Williams. This first one was written by Manuel Maria Barbosa du Bocage, an eighteenth-century poet who traveled all over the Portuguese empire (then spanning from
Epigram X
Here lies at rest a wealthy man
Within this costly tomb secure:
He’d have escaped the malady,
Had he not died first from the cure.
This other poem was written by Xanana Gusmão, the current president of
was a prisoner of the Indonesian government.
Country
A Country, yes, is sun that gave us being
It’s drama, verse, it’s time and space assigned,
From generations past, it’s ties that bind
It’s living truths around us we are seeing.
A Country…is our suffering…and our dying
And marking, with our lives, new steps ahead.
For people – Country – well, quite simply said
It’s…
It’s peace and storm, it’s where we scrape and bow,
It’s life and pride, it’s family ties, our mate
It’s joy and love, all that our hearts allow.
A Country…is tradition, past, estate!
The sound of bullets is…our Country now!
But Country…is our hope and future state!
When I came back from
P.S. Thanks to Deb (my aunt Debbie Boothe) for her enviable trip to Italy and to Tui for telling us about her trip to Hawaii. I hope that someday I'll be able to visit those places as well.