Sunday, February 08, 2009

ALIVE AND WELL IN 2009

My heart goes out to all of you being affected by the economic bubble having popped. It doesn’t seem like there is anyone out there who isn’t at least a little bit affected. Though it would be nice if Becca were busier at the spa, our translation business continues to grow and provide well for our needs. The schools are starting to get more hesitant about spending but I must say that the Lord has blessed us greatly and by his grace we continue to move forward.


Although I came quite close, I did not pass the oral exam to become a State certified court interpreter. Not having enough time to prepare and being woken up at 1:00am in the morning by a dying house alarm that wouldn’t shut off for almost an hour seem like good enough excuses to assuage my ego. Retaking the test seems like a grueling thing that I will probably end up doing when they announce when I can do that.


I was called by a dairy farmer last week to go out and help him with some personnel issues. He mainly wanted me there as an interpreter and translator but we’re also working a little on some labor problems. It was a great experience for me and he liked me so much that he’s recommended me to another agricultural labor fellow who could get me some more work. Becca and I will scramble tomorrow to make me some much needed business cards. I wasn't planning on working as an ag. labor consultant so soon.


My lovely wife has become addicted to Craig’s List. Over the past few weeks she’s gotten us both new desks for our office, an office chair for her and a couch for the back room of the house. All of this was free or sold to us at an extremely low price. The economy may not be doing great but hey, when life gives you lemons you make lemonade.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to read another Ryan and Becca post! I'm sad to hear people are giving furniture away, though. We'll be downsizing our house and thus furniture, so a crowded market isn't good news.

Anonymous said...

Got your new phone numbers today. Enjoyed reading your post! We must come see your home someday. Does someday ever come? Life is busy but rewarding. Gram Boothe

Ryan said...

Dad: Your furniture is in much better condition than the furniture most people are trying to get ride of. That should help.

Grandma: You are welcome any time! Next time you come for adjustments from Dad you should stop by our place.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you posted again Ryan! I'm also glad that, financially speaking, you are doing well.

Heather said...

Becca- we know someone that just got called to the Rochester New York mission! Do you know anyone there to watch out for him. (He recently moved to Richmond from Cameroon.) Glad you're doing well.