A curious thing happened while I was at the wedding activities, and this just goes to show how interconnected the Latter-Day Saint Church really is. A married couple from my local congregation came to the wedding. He is a retired professor who spent much of his career teaching Spanish linguistics at BYU. Apparently, while he was getting his PhD in Michigan, he and his wife were the youth leaders of the groom's mother and her siblings. I was commenting about this to one of my aunts and she pointed out that she also knew this professor and that he had led her study abroad program to Spain when she attended BYU. The connections don't stop there. He also taught my Portuguese linguistics professor who led the study abroad program to Brazil that Becca and I participated in last year. In addition to that, he was the Missionary Training Center president in the Dominican Republic while Becca's roommate was there. His name is Halvord Clegg (just in case one of you knows him) and everyone knows and loves him and his wife.
Sunday, July 13, 2008
A WEDDING AND A FAMILY REUNION
A curious thing happened while I was at the wedding activities, and this just goes to show how interconnected the Latter-Day Saint Church really is. A married couple from my local congregation came to the wedding. He is a retired professor who spent much of his career teaching Spanish linguistics at BYU. Apparently, while he was getting his PhD in Michigan, he and his wife were the youth leaders of the groom's mother and her siblings. I was commenting about this to one of my aunts and she pointed out that she also knew this professor and that he had led her study abroad program to Spain when she attended BYU. The connections don't stop there. He also taught my Portuguese linguistics professor who led the study abroad program to Brazil that Becca and I participated in last year. In addition to that, he was the Missionary Training Center president in the Dominican Republic while Becca's roommate was there. His name is Halvord Clegg (just in case one of you knows him) and everyone knows and loves him and his wife.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Ryan,
When Walt and I moved to Salt Lake back in 1989, we lived in the upstairs apartment of Susie Hunsaker's home. I can't remember the address right now, but it wasn't far from the library and it was just below a one way street. Sister Hunsaker lived downstairs and her son Rulon(?) came over and helped her a lot. She was an adorable and very kind lady. We visited frequently and I remember she liked to eat bread and milk! Leah was just 6 months old when we lived there.
Also, there was a Lisa Clegg from out west who served her mission in New York state, then returned to get some experience working on Walter's sand sculptures.
I wonder if either of these people are related to those you met? It's a small world!
Love,
RossAnn
RossAnn: The odds are good that Susie Hunsaker is a distant relative of mine. Abraham Hunsaker, my ancestor, had five wives so the odds are good that any Hunsaker with ties to Utah is distantly related to me. I'm not sure about Lisa Clegg but you never know.
Post a Comment