Sunday, February 03, 2008

POLITICS, RELIGION AND FOOD

One of my Sunday meetings got canceled today so I thought I'd take a minute to jot down a few things. Yesterday Becca and I got an in a food making mood. She made a fluffy coconut cake and I made a mound of sushi rolls. My eyes proved to be bigger than my stomach and I stuffed myself more than I intended to. I think that I got my sushi fix for the month of February. Becca was not wholly satisfied with her cake because it was supposed to be more chocolaty. I still think that it was tasty, so much so that I'm going to have to end up giving a bunch of it away or we'll end up as big as balloons. Even so, we've been trying to get that under control. Becca went to the gym five times last week (including a session with a personal trainer) and I went jogging four times for a total of ten miles.

The Lord blessed us tremendously at the end of this last month and February is also starting off with a big work load. We are as grateful as we are busy! In addition to the work that our present clients are giving us, two more school districts have contacted us inquiring about our services. Hopefully they'll sign us up too. Becca and I were looking at our calendar and we realized that, unless we get some help, we won't be in a position to really take any vacations until Labor Day. That's kind of the catch 22 about having your own business.
Is everyone voting? I think it's important for all of us to cast an at least somewhat informed vote. I'm concerned about the attitude of the voters that are interviewed on T.V. and on the radio. For example, I have seen several women interviewed on television and on the radio that say that they were going to vote for someone else but that they wanted to see a woman in the White House so they voted for Senator Clinton instead. I think that it's terrible to vote for or against someone for such a superficial reason. I'd like to urge everyone to take a few minutes, get online and read a little about the candidates instead of blindly supporting or opposing them based on hearsay or just one issue. For example, there is a rumor going around about Barak Obama being a Muslim that is untrue.
Mitt Romney should not be excluded from the presidency simply because he is Mormon any more than Barak Obama should be voted down just because his father is black or John McCain solely because he's 71. Dislike Romney because he openly condones the torture of terrorist suspects; dislike Obama because he wants socialized health care; dislike McCain because he told bold faced lies during his presidential campaign in 1999. I also think that knowing both sides of the issue is important. On that note, like Romney for his ability to turn failing business and government organizations into overwhelming successes; like Obama for his aplomb and honesty; like McCain because he is the only candidate who has any idea what war really means. I also urge you to look at the past records of these candidates. Personally, I think that any one of them will say just about anything to get elected so their past decisions and actions are probably a good indicator of what they would really do in the White House.

Since I just touched on the taboo of politics I might as well talk about religion as well. A week ago today the president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints passed away after just entering his 98th year. There was an open casket viewing for two days in Salt Lake City and then a televised, satellite broadcast funeral service seen by millions of people all over the world. Gordon Bitner Hinckely was one of the most beloved leaders of that the LDS Church has ever had. We were truly blessed that God granted him the health to travel so extensively so that he could visit, uplift and instruct so many people all over the world for such a long time. There is no doubt in my mind that his counsel to focus on the simple, yet fundamental, aspects of Christian living were exactly what the world needed to hear. The humanitarian efforts performed under his leadership, temple building and constant denouncing of pornography are only a few of his many contributions to the world. His tireless efforts to do God's will enhanced the lives of people from every religion and walk of life. He was a man of God and I will miss him.
As much as I will miss Pres. Hinckley, I also have faith that the new leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints will also be inspired to lead and direct God's church on the Earth. This is His work and it is a marvelous work and a wonder.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen. Wise counsel to all of us regarding the candidates. I've already voted by mail and cast my vote for Mitt Romney. He has the intelligence, credibility, and values that I want in a president. His business and leadership skills will make him an excellent president alone. I'm with Mitt all the way.

I cried last Sunday when Pres. H died. I bore my testimony in Fast Mtg. today about Pres H as a great prophet and Elder Robert Hales who visited my stake last weekend as both prophets, seers, and revelators. These are the last days and only those who are valiant in their testimonies will be standing at the last day.

These elections seem more important than usual. Just a feeling I have. I feel that whoever is elected will have even more influence than the president usually has and will take our nation and world in a direct path for good or evil that we will all be effected by. We'll have to see if I'm right, but if I am you heard it here first. :)